How to Implement Record Management in Sharepoint
Before you implement records management, it is recommended that you first create a records management plan for your organization. To help you choose the right records management system for your organization, see Choose how to store and manage records.
Create and configure a Records Center site
This section provides an overview on the major steps you need to take to create and configure a Records Center site. Click the links to see specific guidance on each step.
- Create the Records Center site using the Records Center site template.
- Create record libraries or lists to manage and store each record type that is specified in your file plan (def: A file plan describes the types of documents or items that an organization acknowledges as official business records. It indicates where these records are stored, and it provides information that differentiates one type of record from another).
- Add an associated content type to your libraries and lists.
- Create and add site columns to the relevant content types to contain and display the metadata for each record type that is specified in your file plan.
- Add an information management policy to a content type on the Records Center site.
- Configure the Content Organizer to route each record type to the appropriate location.