How to Use Excel UPPER Function
To convert this text all to upper case (capital letters) in Excel you can use the UPPER function.
The syntax for the UPPER function is:
= UPPER ( Text )
Text – the text you want to change. This can be acell reference, a word or words enclosed in quotation marks, or a formula that outputs text.
Example: Using Excel’s UPPER Function
For help with this example, see the image above.
- Enter the following text (all in small letters) into cell D1: income statement.
- Click on cell E1 in the spreadsheet – this is where the function will be located.
- Click on the Formulas tab of the ribbon menu.
- Choose Text from the ribbon to open the function drop down list.
- Click on UPPER in the list to bring up the function’s dialog box.
- In the dialog box, click on the Text line.
- Click on cell D1 in the spreadsheet.
- Click OK.
- The line of text INCOME STATEMENT should appear in cell E1 all in lower case.
- When you click on cell E1 the complete function = UPPER ( D1 ) appears in the formula bar above the worksheet.